MELAKA: The cruise terminal project at Melaka Gateway in Pulau Melaka here will be revived, says Anthony Loke.
The Transport Minister said the developer, KAJ Sdn Bhd, has made an application to approve the project that was previously shelved.
“I have directed the Port Klang Port Authority and my officers to commence preliminary negotiations with the Melaka government on looking into ways of reviving the mega project.
“The approval for the reclamation work by Melaka Gateway that had been nullified previously is now being considered for approval,” he said after opening the Melaka DAP’s AGM here on Sunday (March 5).
Loke said certain issues between the Melaka government and the developer should be ironed out before approval is granted.
“The project was shelved although most of the reclamation work has been done and this could impact the state in terms of economic development as well as the local tourism industry.
Loke said he is also planning to hold a discussion with Chief Minister Datuk Seri Sulaiman Md Ali on the project.
“I will get an insight into the project and I aim to take a pragmatic move as the project has almost reached completion,” he added.
On a separate development, Loke said the Federal Government would transform stage bus services in the state under the My Bus Melaka programme.
He said the programme will be fully funded by the Federal Government by commissioning a concessionaire to manage the services.
Loke said the programme is being discussed and is expected to be launched soon.
He said the programme to transform stage bus services would also involve Sabah and Sarawak.
Currently, stage bus services here are managed by a state government-owned company.